In this article, you’ll learn how to start a blog in Ghana – and the unique writing process. And most importantly, how to write a blog that both Google and your readers will love.
The strategies outlined here are a combination of what global industry experts are using to generate thousands of comments per blog. Simple is always better. So if you love to keep things simple and straightforward, then this article is for you. Let’s dive in.
*Who is a blogger?
*Why start a blog?
*How to start a killer blog in Ghana
*How to write a great blog article that both humans and Google will love
Who is a blogger?
A blogger is someone who shares his or her opinion on a specific topic(s). You might be asking, “what then is a blog?”
A blog is a regularly updated website or webpage that displays information in the reverse chronological order.
Justin Hall is credited to have written the first blog in 1994. The term blog comes from the word “weblog” which means logging the web.
Ok, now let’s walk out of the history class.
Why start a blog?
Here are five reasons why you should start a blog (if you haven’t).
1. Share your passion with the world
Are you very passionate about sharing your view on a specific topic with your friends?
Perhaps, your perspective on the topic is unique.
And whenever you put your points on paper, people can’t read it once, but again with a smile. Then blogging is for you.
Blogging is an opportunity to share those wonderful ideas with people in every part of the world. And many bloggers don’t even worry about being paid. They just love what they do.
2. Add value to people’s lives
The noblest profession in the world is blogging – maybe because I’m a blogger 🙂
Irrespective of the topic that interests you, there are others who are also interested.
For example, a young passionate writer might be looking for ways to put her creativity into use.
By reading this article, she could be encouraged to begin her blogging journey.
And that’s it. My blog becomes an inspiration to her. Nice.
3. Generate extra income from blogging
I’ve heard people say ‘oh blogging doesn’t pay’. Really?
So if you are looking for a way to make some extra income, blogging is a great option.
4. Learn and improve upon your writing skills
You can’t become a top-notch blogger if you are not a prolific reader. That’s for sure.
And the more you read and write, the better you become at grammar and communication in general.
So if you are thinking of becoming an author in the future, consider beginning with blogging.
5. Validate expertise and authority in your field
How would people know how knowledgeable you are about herbal medicine if everything you know is only in your head?
So, if you are a professional in a specific field, and you want to validate your expertise and become an authority in that field, consider blogging.
How to start a killer blog in Ghana
If you are now thinking of starting a blog, then this section is for you.
Here is a step-by-step process of starting a blog in Ghana.
Choose a topic
One of the most important aspects to consider before starting a blog is choosing a great topic. First, you must remember that you are writing for people.
A great way of looking at this is to find out what challenges your audience face, and how your blog could address those challenges.
And then, choose a topic that would interest your audience. This article throws more light on how to choose a topic for your blog.
Research for a good domain name
Your domain name is like the name of your shop in the internet community.
And you would agree with me that if you want Christians to love your child, you can’t give her a name like Lucifer. Same with your blog. Once you’ve chosen your topic, research, and find a domain name that best describes your topic.
For example, if you are blogging about mobile phones, and your blog is www.sixtyninepositions.com, people will think your blog is about sex positions. And that would be the beginning of a huge failure.
I chose www.ajumatechconsults.com for my personal blog because I’m a digital marketing consultant. So choose well.
Choose a reliable host
Choosing the wrong host is as disastrous as keeping your gold bar with a fraudster (don’t relate it to anyone). Your website host basically ensures that your site is almost always alive on the internet. And if their server is slow, your website will load like a tortoise.
Stormerhost is one reliable hosting service provider in Ghana. There are numerous other options like Ultra Host Ghana, Web4africa, and Dtech. Make sure you read more about them before you make a decision.
Set up your blog
Now it’s time to set up your blog and start writing. The most popular blogging software is WordPress.
Why? Because it’s easy to set up and their online support community support is amazing.
How to write a great blog article that both humans and Google will love
*Preparing to write
*Writing the post
*Optimizing for high ranking
*Your blog is set up.
Time to write amazing content that users will love. And Google will rank high in Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs).
Preparing to write
Great preparation is key to every successful journey.
Here are a few preparation tips:
Craft a compelling title
The title of your article is the first point of contact for every reader. It must captivate, compel, and get a reader excited to read.
You can use tools like Buzzsumo to get ideas on which articles are trending in your industry.
So that your content can match the needs of your target group.
And to know whether your title is great, use this amazing tool to analyze your title.
Also, your headline should be 10-18 words (best practice), and should not be more than 70words.
Write an irresistible introduction
Your introduction is a summary of what your article is about and why someone should read (and not waste their time).
It should be short, sweet, and make the reader feel lucky for landing on your page.
In fact, writing an intro that is less than 8 sentences is much better than a one-page intro of this and that.
Tips and tricks of writing the article
Keep the following tips in mind:
1. Sentences: Keep sentences as short as possible. Most of your readers will read on their mobile phones. And on the phone, longer sentences are boring and difficult to read.
2. Section Subheaders: Break your article into subheadings. This keeps your article well organized and easy to read.
3. Short paragraphs: When it comes to paragraphing, simple is always better. You would notice that most of my paragraphs are one sentence long. I recommend that your stick to a maximum of 5 sentences per paragraph.
4. Use active voice: For example – say Nana read my blog, instead of my blog was read by Nana.
5. Use examples: Humans love stories, and one simple way of telling stories is by the use of examples.
6. Cite references whenever possible: References shows that you did your research well and that your information is authentic. It also provides an opportunity for your reader to verify when in doubt.
7. Add graphics: Images speak a thousand words. And Google loves it. So include as many images as you can.
8. The longer the article, the better. The common notion is that Ghanaians don’t like reading, so we are tempted to keep it short. True but that’s why you have to break it down so that people can read the section they want. Because Google, on the other hand, prefers longer articles (1500+ words) to shorter articles. According to Google, a longer article that is well organized is an indication that the writer is an expert and has in-depth knowledge of the topic. And thus deserves a higher ranking.
9. Add a conclusion: Most people read the intro and conclusion to get a fair idea of the blog before they read the full article. So add a conclusion with the subheading “Conclusion”.
Optimize the post for high rankings
Now your blog is ready. I agree, but not yet. There are a few things you need to do to ensure that Search Engines such as Google places your blog at where searchers can see and read.
Let’s look at a few ranking tips and dos.
*Make sure your keyword appears in the Title, Meta Description, H2 or H3 Subheadings, introduction, and a few times in the body of the article.
*Image Alts: Edit all Image Alts and include keywords in the Image Alt.
*Keep your keywords short and include your keyword. Example, https://ajumatechconsults.com/what-is-seo-in-digital-marketing/. In this example, “what is SEO” was the keyword phrase of the article.
*Internal links – Do well to link to other pages on your website. At least two internal links to other pages or articles on your website are ideal.
Every successful journey begins from somewhere but does not come easy. Today, you’ve learned literally everything you need to know about how to start a blog in Ghana. And the step-by-step process of writing for both humans and Google.
What next? Put it into practice. As the saying goes, practice makes a man perfect. So, begin putting what you’ve learned today into practice. And if you have any questions, reach out to others for help.
Now it’s your turn.
What new thing did you learn? And what did I miss out?
Share your comment below.
Credit: Isacc Asomah